History of Newcastle High School
ESTABLISHED IN 1882
The first record of any educational work in Newcastle dates back to 1874 when a school opened in the Dutch Reformed Church building at Lennexton. This school lasted only until 1878.
School was build at a cost of R6000.
Opening of school 47 boys and 30 girls. Mr McBean the principal.
1895 - 1903
Mr McClaren the principal.
School had to close because of a measles epidemic and 2nd Anglo – Boer war. School used as a hospital by the RED CROSS.
School reopens (157 learners).
1903 - 1914
Mr Wilson the principal.
Now a separate school for boys (Mr T.D. Wilson the principal) and girls (MIss Poreous the principal).
School divided into Senior School from Grade 6 to 10 Junior School (Miss Wills) for Grade 1 to 3.
No boys over 13 years of age allowed in hostel. Girls of any school going age allowed in hostel.
Grade 3 upwards also allowed into the Senior School.
41 learners in the hostel.
1922 - 1928
Mr Orberleand Mr Delvin acting principals for Mr L. Hodges.
1928 - 1931
Mr Snow the principal.
1931 - 1936
Three principals came and left.
New hall opened (The current Media centre since 1973). Mr C.F.S van Reenen the principal.
The MOTHS donated the Memorial Gate to replace the grid gate which was erected to keep cattle out of the school grounds.
1020 learners. Mr. Steven Marais the principal.